Thursday, July 20, 2006,12:20 PM
The first one...
Ok so I know that I am still in the states, but I wanted to get this blog up and running before I leave. Some of you have to be wondering why a person who hates to journal is starting a blog. The answer to that is easy; I am a little lazy. I want to keep in touch with everyone while I am in Central Asia and writing a blog so that you can all keep up with the ongoings of my peace corps experience seems easier than writing emails to all of you. However, I really appreciate packages and actual mail, so I promise to send you postcards etc if you send me anything.
So for anyone that doesn't know I am starting my peace corps experience on August 20th, 2006. I will be in Philly for three day for "staging" basically a crash course on policies and a lot of paperwork. Then I head out to Kazakhstan where I will be until Nov 10th, 2008 (unless I leave early which I really doubt, but I want a disclaimer in here in case of unforseable circumstances). For the first three months I will be training near Almaty...training will consist of intensive language classes, tefl training etc. I am nervous about learning Russian and/or Kazakh...cyrillic alphabet anyone? Still I think this experience will be good for me. I always learn more about myself when I am doing service for others. As an added bonus I will get to travel to some really cool places hopefully that I haven't been to yet. Travel woo hoo!!
So for those of you who don't know Kazakhstan was part of the old Soviet Union and is half the size of the United States. It boarders Russia, China, the Caspian Sea, and Uzbekistan. Kazakhstan gets to be -40 in the winter and 110 in the summer. I will be a secondary English teacher. Feel free to comment or ask me questions. I will put my address up as soon as I know it.
 
posted by Aimee | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    yea for K-stan!!! I'm learning kazakh too. amansuhz ba = hello, are you well. :)

    --Kristine

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm so happy for you, but am also so sad for me. I will miss you! Please keep up your blog! Ciao.
    Love & kisses,
    Mom

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    How exciting Aimee! We wish you the best and good luck with the language. Sorry we missed you at the Lake.
    Shar (your Mom's cousin)

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I am going to miss you so much! You are going to have such an amazing time though!!! I will send you fun mail!!!!

    Love, Kelly

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Kiko, Neige, Manuel and I will miss having you around. Just think, Kiko has known you his whole life (including almost my whole pregnancy). We will definately be sending pictures! I hope you have a wonderful experience.

    Tracey

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    We will see you on the 18th. I fully expect you to be able to write the crylic alphabet after the three weeks of training. However you can be assured that I would not know whether your were correct or not.
    Grandfather

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hey aimee:
    jeff has heard that the men out there are like Bactarian Camels; they've got two humps!
    As for me, I am so excited for you and will be a great penpal-keep up your blog and we can try to send you your little cousins in that fifteen pound mailbag you told us about.
    we love you,
    a

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Aimees,

    You'll have the best time and they'll be lucky to have you! I will miss you tons. I'm glad you came to stay in Minneapolis it gave us a chance to know each other so much better.

    love and best wishes,
    Heidi

    p.s. I'll trade written things for church art.