Thursday, October 04, 2007,1:45 AM
I have now been teaching at my new school for a month and I can say that things have gone really well after that first horrible day. I am teaching grades 5-11 and I like all of my classes so far. There are some hooligans in each class but as any teacher knows that is to be expected. Oh and I love that hooligan is a cognate in russian. I work with three other english teachers who I get along with well. Sveta is my 'counterpart' so I spend the most time with her, she is married with 2 kids and really fun. Bebe is also married with 2 kids, and she just became an english teacher after they cut the german program (she took english at university too). Feruza is the last teacher I work with and while she is strict in class she has a great laugh when we are just hanging out. I got pretty lucky when I was assigned to my new school, so far I have not encountered one mean teacher. Even after my really embarrassing introduction on the first day people have been very nice. Yesterday a teacher I never met before approached me and after asking me a few personal questions informed me that she was going to bring be a bag of peaches from her tree later in the week. The principal of my school is pretty great too, she is stern and strict but has agreed to tutor me in Russian and was full of compliments for me when the peace corps director visited my school this week. The only frustrating thing so far is the school schedule. It is not written yet so everyday things change. I have only had one english club so far because I never know when I am teaching until the last minute. Classes at my school are in two shifts, the older kids (8-11) come to school in the morning from 8-1:15 monday through saturday, the younger kids come in the afternoon from 1:25-6 monday through saturday. I can't have clubs after six because it is too late and the school gets locked up. I keep getting told that the schedule will be ready soon though so I am looking forward to the day when my life has some structure.
 
posted by Aimee | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Aimee - Thanks for the new update! I'm so glad you really have computer access. It certainly makes for better communication and it's so good to get the news in writing since I am a visual person, but I like the personal calls too. I'm glad the visit went well and you're getting peaches! Yum.
    Love, Mom